Thursday, July 23, 2026

Bust out the Church Walls

“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25 NKJV


Having not been at church for three consecutive Sundays, my husband Larry and I were overcome with joy on Tuesday night to spend an evening fellowshipping with several of our “church family” members with whom we serve on the Board of our local Pregnancy Help Center. 

And while we shared several stories, a few somber moments, and some laughter as we conducted our monthly business meeting, the real communion began after the meeting was over and we began to talk about life and all the good things God was doing. 

“I’ve missed you Kim,” I said to one of my dear friends as we talked in the quaint kitchen of the home where the meeting was graciously held. I went on to say, “I feel like we haven’t been to church in forever.” “I feel you sister,” she responded before elaborating on all the adventures she, herself, had been on over the last few weeks. Between traveling to record a Christian podcast, record music, and write for her website (of which I’m blessed to be a writer), she had been as busy as Larry and I had.

I then updated her on all the amazing places and races the Lord had allowed my husband and I to travel to as Race Directors and summed up our ventures by saying, “We’ve been out working in the missions field and it’s been exciting!” 

This was something I could honestly say as my spouse and I view everywhere we go as an opportunity to share the Gospel. I then shared with her how our unique job gives us an uncommon platform to talk to people we might never see on Sunday mornings—people that we share the Gospel with. To which she replied, “We’re bustin out of those church walls sister! I pray more people will do that.”

And, you know, while it’s true that believers aren’t to make “forsaking the assembling of ourselves together” “the manner” or habit as some do, it’s also true that when we, as individuals, are called to the missions field, (wherever that might be) that we aren’t to allow church attendance to keep us from going wherever God is calling us to go and doing whatever it is God is calling us to do.

“Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.” 1 Corinthians 12:27-31

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.” Matthew 28:19-20

“Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.” Luke 14:23

You see, while church can certainly be defined as a house of worship and a place where believers come together to praise the Lord, to encourage one another, to grow in the knowledge of His Word, and to consider ways "to stir up love and good works" in our brothers and sisters, church can also be defined as “the body of Christ,” made up of individuals with different talents and unique gifts—talents and gifts that are given to these individuals by God to “go out” and share the gospel and to make disciples.


Did you get that “go out” part? This means there will be times when each one of us will need to, as my friend Kim says, “bust out the walls of the church” to go out  “into the highways and hedges” of our communities to compel the lost to seek Jesus before it’s too late.

Now, while the way we do this might look different for everyone, one thing is the same… we are the church wherever we go.

So, if God is calling you to “go out” into the missions field, by all means go out my friend! But be sure to not forsake “assembling” with those in the body of Christ as often as you can… especially as we see the Day approaching. This is the place where you and I can be sharpened, strengthened, and refreshed for whatever God has in store for us. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that “church” is not only a building but the body of Christ, commissioned with the job of going out and making disciples. Lord, as we see the Day approaching, help us see the importance of fellowshipping that we might encourage one another to stay strong and complete the mission You have for us. It’s in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 


Happy Running!














No comments:

Post a Comment