Monday, April 29, 2024

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Take a Turn Volunteering

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


 
Now let’s get started by talking about an event that took place last weekend… the Frisco Railroad Run presented by OMRR. This is one of my favorite races of all time. And while I wasn’t able to be there in person this year, I did enjoy perusing social media and seeing the smiles of all the runners and the volunteers. Especially the smile of Makayla Cornelius (pictured above in the middle), who I met at last years event while volunteering with my husband, Sweet Larry. 



Check out Makayla in the picture above who was all smiles last year on the 50k course. I loved that she came back as a volunteer this year! And I couldn’t wait to hear all about why she decided to step up to help the runners in lieu of running the race herself. And this is what she said….



I made the decision back during Bass Pro Marathon weekend (that’s us above at the 2023 BP marathon/half) to volunteer because I wanted to give back to the runners in the same way I was helped last year. The volunteers last year at the aid stations are the only reason I was able to finish the race at all and I was forever grateful for that experience. So I wanted to be able to be the person on the other side, helping people achieve their goals. 



Volunteering gave me perspective more than anything. As a runner, I think we sometimes lose what happens behind the scenes and can take it for granted. I was able to see that other side by helping set up before the start, manning an aid station and then helping to get that last runner in after the cutoff. It opened my eyes to be able to appreciate the volunteers and race staff even more than I already did before. 


I believe that runners should volunteer for the perspective it gives, as well as the feeling of joy it brings to help other runners achieve their goals. There’s something about being there and helping people do the hard things that is so rewarding. I think ultimately it makes us better runners. Not to mention as runners we know what that runner is going through at every stage because we’ve been there more times than we can count, so it gives us the chance to use that knowledge to better help someone quickly and effectively when they may not have even known what they needed. I know for me that is what saved my race last year, as well as races going forward.

Do you just love that or what? But the story gets even better!! When asked what her favorite part about the day was, Makayla said…



The main thing that comes to mind, and Karen (pictured above with some other volunteers) could give more detail on it for sure, was the last 50 mile runner. Her mom is battling breast cancer so she didn’t have time to train for the race and she came into the turnaround and let us know she wouldn’t make the cutoff but was going to finish anyway. We happened to have Karen there and Karen assured her that we would have a buckle and she would be at the finish for her. So later in the day as we neared the cutoff, Karen and I were out at the second to last aid station for her setting her up a little station. We did the same thing at the last aid station and made sure we were at the finish. There was another gentleman whose name I forgot, who ran in with her to ensure she was safe and got there after his aid station was done for the day. It was an incredible thing to be a part of. From her determination, to all of us coming together to make sure she got to the finish because we know what it’s like the be the last runner out there. It was honestly one of the greatest things I’ve ever been a part of, just getting to come together and help her meet that goal she set for herself. It was a good reminder of why we all do this and why the ultra community is so special. We do whatever we can to help each other no questions asked and it’s just an amazing community to be a part of.


So there you have it friends. The running community is indeed the most amazing community that you can be a part of! And they make the best volunteers because as runners themselves they know what other runners need and are willing to literally go the extra mile to make sure a runner makes it to the finish line. So consider stepping up to work at at least one race this year. I can tell you from personal experience that you will be immensely blessed by doing so. Happy Running!


 
*On a side note, I want to share what Karen said about Makayla, who is too humble to toot her own horn but deserves recognition for going above and beyond…
Makayla was amazing! She drove 8 hours to be there. She was there for the early start. She stayed until the last runners came through even after cutoff. She was willing to do anything. I told her story to anyone who would listen because she is the best example of giving back I have ever seen. She may live 8 hours away, but she is part of our local running community! Indeed she is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment