Thursday, August 24, 2023

Be Faithful until the Last Mile is Run

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7 NIV



Yesterday the New York Times reported that Tom Courtney, a Fordham University graduate who with a homestretch surge and a lunge at the tape won a furious 800-meter run by inches in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, capturing the gold medal for the United States, died on Tuesday at an assisted living facility in Naples, Fla. He was 90. The writer went on to say that when Courtney ended his racing career at age 25, he promised he would run a sub-5-minute mile every year. He succeeded through his 50th birthday, when he ran a 4:36 mile against high schoolers in Sewickley. Then he quit, saying, “I’ve done enough.” In an interview for this obituary in 2013, he recalled that last mile:“After the first lap, the coach said to his kids, ‘Don’t let that old guy beat you.’ After the second lap, he said, ‘Don’t let that old guy catch you.’ After the third lap, the coach screamed, ‘Catch that old guy!’” Do you just love that or what?

And you know, when it comes to obituaries, or notices of death that typically include a brief biography of the deceased person, I can’t help but think that if the apostle Paul had been asked what he would like to remembered for, he would have said, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” You see, Paul knew that only a life lived in service to Jesus was worthy of mention because there is absolutely no other accomplishment in the world that has eternal value. Paul fought hard. Paul ran hard. And Paul held on to his faith in Jesus despite the many hurdles in his path—and now serves as a shining example of what it means to take up your cross and follow Jesus until “that last mile” is run. 
 
So if you were to be interviewed for your obituary today, what would you say my friend? Are you living for Jesus? I sure hope so because as C.T. Studd so wisely said, “Only one life twill soon be past. Only what’s done for Christ will last.” 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that life is short at best and that we only have one chance to make a difference in this world by living for You. Cause us to seek only those pursuits that will have eternal value and to live on fire for You each and every day so that like Paul we can one day say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment