Thursday, August 18, 2016

Rise up

"Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light." Micah 7:8



Usain Bolt, known as the world's fastest man, became the first of his gender to bring home a gold medal in the 100-meter dash in three consecutive Olympics Sunday after blazing to the finish line in 9.81 seconds. But not only is he talented at running, he is also a savvy businessman who trademarked his name and signature "Lightning Bolt" pose. But did you know that in 2011, a one-strike-and-you're out false start disqualified him in the 100-meter finals at the IAAF World Championships? I'm sure this was hardly the only setback he ever encountered from his humble beginnings in Jamaica to his rise to fame though. 

The prophet Micah knew something about setbacks and rising above his circumstances too when he wrote, "Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light." He was telling his enemies and those around him to not delight in his misfortunes because he may have fallen but he would soon rise-he was down but certainly not out. And, although he was sitting in the dark now, God would be his light, of that he was absolutely certain.

After his 2011 disqualification, Bolt was quoted as saying: "Looking for tears? Not going to happen. I'm OK." In other words, he was telling the world and those who might be reveling in his setback that he was down but certainly not out. He had fallen but he would rise... and did he ever! As Christians, shouldn't that be our attitude too? Knowing that no matter our misfortune, trial or fall that the Lord will give us the strength to rise again? And that kind of confidence doesn't take talent, my friend, it takes faith. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for these amazing role models that you have given us and the younger generation to follow. May we be as bold in our faith as these Olympic athletes that refuse to give the glory to anyone or anything but you and may we emulate their unshakable will to rise each time they fall. May we be that determined. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Eye on it - Tobymac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pO16yMC19o

No comments:

Post a Comment