Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Put the past behind you

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17



In the iconic movie, Forrest Gump, Forrest said this about his cross country run, "My Mama always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on. And I think that's what my running was all about. I had run for three years, two months, fourteen days, and sixteen hours....And just like that, my runnin' days was over." Like many of us, his running was an attempt to leave behind the many bad things he had experienced in his life and start new. Some people will run a few days and some will make a lifetime habit out of running away from their problems. The problem is... you can run your whole life and never change anything. You can't make the pain go away and you can't heal the wounds of the past. That is...without Christ.

The bible promises that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation and the old has passed away. Too many people are living as if nothing changed within them when they accepted Christ into their heart. The past is gone. Isaiah 43:25 says, "“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins." If God has forgiven us and given us a new life in him (a clean slate), why have we not forgiven ourselves? One thing is certain, we cannot change our past, what's done is done. But in the wise words of Forrest, "you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." How can you do that? By laying it all at the cross every day and allowing Christ to dwell in your heart and to change it.

Ezekiel 36:26 says, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.". God offers us a fresh start every day. It's time to stop running and accept the offer. It's time to put the past behind you and move on.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your patience with us. Thank you for being faithful to us when we doubt you. When we doubt that we are truly forgiven, remind us. When we doubt that we are a new creation, remind us of that too. As many times as we need it Lord, remind us so that we stop running and put the past behind us. It's in your precious name we pray these things, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

This is a powerful video and song. I encourage you to watch it. Praise God, we are new!!

Jason Gray - Remind me who I am

No comments:

Post a Comment