Sunday, June 3, 2018

Somebody tell them

"Though you have shown me many troubles and misfortunes, You will revive me once again. Even from the depths of the earth You will bring me back up." Psalm 71:20


Image result for hospital hill finish line park pic
After completing the Hospital Hill Half Marathon yesterday morning, I waited for my friends at the highest point of the park overlooking the finish line and after-race festivities. And as I waited, I watched many of the other finishers walk around, snap photos, laugh, talk and recover. In the midst of this, I was suddenly grieved by a thought. Every runner here has a story and a reason why they took that first step - and most every story began with pain. Pain from a divorce, a death, addiction, guilt, abuse, shame or a feeling of worthlessness - which means most of those smiling faces I was looking at were merely masks hiding a deep sadness within. Fighting to keep the tears from flowing, I silently and solemnly prayed, "Lord, if there's anyone here hurting today, may they find their way to You." 

But you know, runners aren't the only ones who are burdened with sorrow or who will face "troubles and misfortunes." - each one of us will experience this at some point in our lives. You may even be in the midst of a battle right now. But cheer up my friend. Because if you have put your trust in Jesus Christ, no matter what difficulty or struggle you are in, you can, like the psalmist, confidently declare, "You will revive me once again. Even from the depths of the earth You will bring me back up." 

Did you get that part? Even from the depths? That means that our Everlasting Father will restore and renew you and me from even from the most severe part of an unpleasant time, feeling, or situation. Trust Him... and then tell someone else who needs to hear it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that many of the people that smile the biggest are hiding deep hurt, anxiety and heartache within themselves. Help us to be open to Your promptings to pray for and reach out to them. Mostly Lord, may we be ready to tell them of the hope, grace and forgiveness that only You can provide. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Somebody tell them - City Harbor

No comments:

Post a Comment