Monday, September 9, 2024

Through Jesus we can be Overcomers

“‘I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.’” John 16:33 NIV



In a story published Friday by NewsChannel5, it was reported that runner Liza Corso, a senior at Lipscomb Academy in Nashville, made her city proud by winning bronze in the 1500m race at this year's Paris Paralympics. Corso says she's been running since she was 5 years old, all while overcoming a genetic vision disorder called oculocutaneous albinism. "I can't see things really far away or small font close up, and then I don't have depth perception," she explained. This year, Corso also had to power through a femur fracture that halted her training in the weeks leading up to the race. "That was a little scary, just not knowing how fit I was or what my body was going to be able to do," she said. In the future, she hopes to spread awareness about the Paralympics and inspire athletes to compete, no matter the obstacle. "If even one person with a physical impairment or low vision or anything, even just anyone who is just trying to get into sports...if they can see my story and see what I had been able to overcome, and that inspires them, that just means the world to me," said Corso. I have no doubt that her story will inspire someone. 

And, you know, when it comes to inspiring someone to press on despite the obstacles in their path, Jesus gave a detailed description  to the disciples of the obstacles they could expect to encounter upon His departure. But then, in order to calm their fears and reassure them that they would be victorious if they continued to follow and trust in Him, said “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Jesus was reminding the disciples (and us) that there was no obstacle in this world they would face that He had not already gained victory over. And that by His power, they would be overcomers as well. 

So don’t let your heart become fearful, downcast, or discouraged by the trials and troubles you will face as a believer in this world my friend… trials and troubles that will undoubtedly intensify as we further approach the end of the end days. Trust in the Lord and remain calm, courageous, faithful, steadfast and immovable and you will make it to the finish line.

Heavenly Father, we thank you for the promise that you will never leave us nor forsake us. Thank you for letting us know what to expect as the end days draw closer so that we will have no reason to fear what’s to come. Remind us that You are sovereign, that You are on the throne, that everything is going according to plan, and that You are coming back soon. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment