Sunday, September 8, 2024

Do what’s Best in the Long Run

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” 2 Corinthians 5:10 NIV



In a heartwarming story published by WSBT 22 last week, it was reported that a Plymouth senior cross country runner named Leo Sickmiller stopped to help Northwood cross country runner Gabe Schrock after seeing him start to collapse. Sickmiller says he sees his act of kindness as just helping out. It all started Tuesday night, during a meet at Ox Bow Park, when Gabe Schrock began to slow down and eventually collapsing. His mom, Rhonda Schrock, was watching from the sidelines and called it a heart wrenching moment. But Gabe didn't stay on the ground for long, as Sickmiller quickly scooped him up and helped carry him to the finish line. Leo later said, “I guess I didn’t really think about it a lot. I don’t really remember I was pretty tired but um, I guess but I guess you know racing kind of sucks so I guess I helped him get done with it too.” Sickmiller's message to other athletes? Stop and help if you're able to. “In the long run 20 years down the road, I mean you won’t remember, you know this meet wasn’t sectionals or conference. You won't remember where you placed but you’ll remember if you helped some guy,” said Sickmiller.

And, you know, as a longtime runner I couldn’t agree with Leo more. I have had the blessing of running hundreds of races in my years and I have never had anyone say to me, “Hey Melissa, I remember your finishing ‘time’ on your race. Great job!” But I have had persons say to me on many occasions, “Hey Melissa, I remember the ‘time’ you helped me get through my race. Thank you!” And, of course, these are the times when I can say “to God be all the glory” and point them back to Christ, the One who inspires us to love others more than ourselves and to live to do His will. And while my love for the Lord and for others is what primarily motivates me to stop in my own race to help someone, knowing that one day I will receive either a reward or a reprimand for what was “done while in the body, whether good or bad,” most definitely inspires the decision to do what’s right as well.

So let love for the Father motivate your every good deed my friend, always looking at what your actions will produce in the long run rather than in the moment. Live to make a positive difference in this world and one day you will reap the rewards for a life well lived. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that one day when we (this judgement is only for believers) stand before the Judgement seat of Christ, we will either experience joy or regret over the way we lived and what we did with the opportunities You gave us. And while love should be our biggest motivation for helping others and doing your will, let the promise of rewards also motivate us to run our race well all the way to the finish line. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.  

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment