Saturday, September 21, 2024

God’s Ways are Higher than Our Ways

“‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9 NKJV



“I just don’t understand it,” my dear husband Larry said to me as he laid in a hospital bed in the Miami County Medical Center in Olathe, Kansas Saturday afternoon after having collapsed at mile 25.5 of the ultra marathon we were participating in—requiring him to be hauled off the trail and then transported by ambulance to the closest hospital (which was amazing by the way) where he was treated for severe dehydration. Needless to say, this was not the way either one of us believed the day would end. “I really thought the Lord was going to allow me to finish this race,” he continued. “I did too honey. I really did,” came my reply. “But it’s not for us to try and understand ‘why’ it happened. Perhaps it happened to meet someone here or to share Christ with someone we will meet in the parking lot later? Maybe it’s to give God the glory when you walk out of here later (and I truly believed he would) because of all the people praying for you right now? Or maybe there’s a lesson in all this that’s just meant for us? We may never know—but we do know that God’s ways are not our ways and that His plans are always better than our plans.” At that my sweet husband smiled and said, “You’re right honey.” 

And, you know, when it comes to trying to understand the “why’s” of life, God was very clear that “as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.” This reminds us that, for reasons we aren’t privy to, there are just some things that we will never understand this side of heaven, they’re just too lofty. But one thing we can always take heart in remembering is this…  God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose for them. And you can be sure that the everything part includes the good and the bad things, along with the things we understand and the things that we don’t. 

So, if you’re going through a time of trial or trouble today that has you saying, “I just don’t understand it,” acknowledge that you weren’t meant to understand it my friend. And then trust that our faithful God will fulfill the promise to work your situation for good. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that everything You plan and purpose is for the good of those You love. When we don’t understand the why’s of life Lord, help us to have the faith to smile and say, “I don’t understand this Lord, but I will trust You.” It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment