Sunday, July 14, 2024

Stay Fit for Life

“I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then.” Joshua 14:11 NLT



In a story titled “Cross roads: Age hasn’t caught up to local runner” published Saturday, it was reported that Gillette resident Larry Cross, who turned 70 years old in May, didn’t start competitive running until he was 57 — and the activity wasn’t even his idea.

“My wife (Jerilyn) wanted to run in 2011,” said Cross, who proceeded to put his best foot forward on the George Mickelson Trail in Deadwood, South Dakota. “So, I joined her — but I wasn’t serious about it at first.” Since then, he has finished upward of 30 races and makes an effort to participate in two per year. What propels a retired man of a certain age to give it a go in half-marathons? “One of the coolest thing is the kids doing it,” said Cross, who has a half-dozen children plus grandkids. “Also, the fitness level. Can’t imagine my life without being fit.”

And you know, when it comes to reasons that should propel or drive a believer to keep their mind and body fit at every age, the Bible gives us the story of Caleb, a man who wholeheartedly followed God all the days of his life. Because of that, Caleb helped to win many battles in the name of the Lord and was promised that he would own all the land he had seen as a spy. Caleb was 85 years old when he came to collect on that promise and said, “I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then.” For his many years of faithful service, Caleb inherited the land of Hebron and it still belongs to his descendants today.

So let the desire to serve the Lord the best you can for as long as you can propel you to read and meditate on the Word daily my friend. And then treat your body like the temple it is by eating wholesome foods and making exercise a habit. You’ll reap the benefits both now and in the hereafter by being able to offer a lifetime of faithful service. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that being fit is about more than how we look. Staying in shape not only allows us to physically serve you better and longer, but is good for our mental and spiritual health as well. Compel us to glorify You with both our lips and our lives Lord, and to inspire others to do the same. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment