Tuesday, July 30, 2024

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Practice Gratitude While You Can

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about gratitude. This is a subject we've talked about before, since it helps us reach the finish line, but one that definitely bears repeating since it's so easy to take the good things in life (like the day we're given and the ability to run) for granted. 


That was something I was thinking about yesterday as I prepared to finish up my early morning run (while contemplating what to write for the BP blog) with some speed work at the quaint and quiet cemetery a few miles from my home. As I neared the graveyard, I noticed a large unleashed dog leisurely meandering around which caused me to slow down to discern whether the canine was aggressive (he wasn't). As I further surveyed the area, I saw that there were two other small dogs staying close to their owner, an older man whose eyes were fixed on a burial placard. I tried my best not to disturb the man but the canines alerted him to my presence, and he looked up and whistled softly for the pooches to come to his side. "I’m so sorry to have bothered you," I said as I approached him and stopped to pet one of the little pups that had excitedly broken the rules and run up to me. "Well hello there cutie," I uttered as I rubbed her sweet head. "That's Cinnamon," the man said. "She’s excited. She hasn't heard a woman's voice except my daughter's since my wife passed away in March." Holding back tears, I told him how truly sorry I was for his loss. "She would have been 60 this month," he shared. "I sure miss her. But I know I'll see her again." "I have no doubt about that," I replied smiling. After introducing ourselves and making a bit of small talk, I told my new friend John that I would be praying for him; something he thanked me for, before getting into his car and leaving. 
*After taking that photo, a quick internet search revealed that John and his newly deceased wife Christine had been married for nearly 40 years and had two children and several grandchildren.


As you can probably guess, this experience moved me to tears and reminded me that life is fleeting at best. No one knows when they will take their final breath, which means each day is a gift as is each run we are allowed to enjoy. Isn’t that a great reminder for all of us? 


So, now that we're reminded that we shouldn't take any of our days or runs for granted (not even those hard ones!), let's look at six ways we can practice an "attitude of gratitude… something that will actually make you and me a better runner! But let me remind you, developing this attitude takes time. According to science, it can take anywhere from 18 to 254 days for a person to form a new habit and an average of 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic. So hang in there knowing that this mind shift will do wonders for your running, your relationships with other people, and your mental state.  

So here we go! Here are six ways to cultivate an “attitude of gratitude”:

1. Turn it around. Each and every time you think or say something negative, turn it around! For instance, instead of saying, "Uggghhh. I have to get in that long run today," say "This is great! I get to do that long run today. I get to spend extended time enjoying nature." And how about replacing the thought of "How will I ever get through this training?" with "This training is going to get me to the finish line! I will be grateful for every step and every mile that gets me closer to my goal.”

2. Write it down. Keep a gratitude journal. Try it for 30 days. Be specific about what you are thankful for. Watch how your thoughts develop over time and how you find more and more things to be grateful for as this way of thinking becomes more natural.

3. Talk about it. Sharing what you are thankful for blesses others and inspires them to be thankful too, giving you one more thing to be thankful for! And there's just something about saying it out loud that makes a person realize how good life truly is.

4. Meditate on it. Whether you regularly meditate or not, take a break a few times each day to reflect on all the good things that are happening in your life. Even amidst the chaos, look for the good! You will find the more you do this, the more your mind will focus on your blessings rather than your burdens.

5. Express it. Find that person who made a difference in your life, and tell them thank you. Perhaps it was a coach, a teacher, a friend, a pastor or even a parent? Call them or write them. Expressing gratitude helps you grow it. And seeing or hearing the person's reaction to your appreciation for them will not only give them a reason to smile but will make you thankful that you told them, prompting you to smile too! And who isn't grateful for having a reason to smile?? Especially now. 

6. Hang around people who exhibit it. If you want to be thankful, get around people with that characteristic. Some people just bubble over with enthusiasm and gratitude for life no matter their circumstances. I once had a dear friend that literally never complained. Audra battled cancer for many years and was in and out of remission on several occasions. During this time she managed to train for and complete a few 5ks. She smiled through all of them! In fact, she was always smiling and always grateful for each day that she was given. And up until the day she lost her battle with cancer, she was grateful for every moment she had with her family. Audra most definitely had an attitude of gratitude and I was forever changed by being a witness of it. 


Need another few reasons to embark on embracing an attitude of gratitude? Well... gratitude will not only help you stay motivated to run, especially when it gets difficult, but it’s been proven that people who are continually grateful tend to:
  • Expect that something good will always come out of any bad situation 
  • Have stronger immune systems
  • Have more energy
  • Can smile and laugh in the face of adversity
  • Cope with stress better
  • Enjoy exercising regularly and are more apt to stick with it
  • Love their work and love their lives
  • Eat healthier 
  • Sleep better
  • Have more friends
  • Look at problems as only temporary setbacks

And there you have it friends. If you have a heartbeat in your chest and air in your lungs today, you have everything you need to start practicing gratitude. Be thankful for these small things and then look at the world around you to see what else you have to smile about. I don't know about you, but a new sunrise, a good cup of morning coffee, and a training run in the great outdoors is something I'll be thankful for today, among a million other things, and I hope you will be too. So get out there and start counting your blessings. There's no better way to start the day! 
Happy Running! 




No comments:

Post a Comment