Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Never Fail to do Good

“If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.” James 4:17 NIV



In a story published yesterday titled “I’m a runner at heart’: Ultrarunner’s future uncertain after crippling fall,” Lesley Mettler Auld, who doesn’t know if she’ll ever be able to run again, said “I’m a runner at heart, been a runner my whole life and that’s my love, that’s my passion.” Nearly three years ago, the ultrarunner, triathlete and fitness coach – who has competed in more than 200 races around the world – was taking a simple walk to meet a client, when she slipped on a steep, wet sidewalk in the Queen Anne neighborhood. “it was just banana peels. I was instantly on the ground, sitting on my calves. My legs were under me and it’s like popcorn was popping. I just heard all these pops,” said Auld. Auld ruptured both quadriceps and tore knee ligaments… After filing a lawsuit against the City of Seattle and the owners of the apartment building next to the sidewalk, a jury just awarded Auld $13.1 million. “No amount of money gives me my life back, no amount of money equates to quality of life. Of all the hurdles I know that are ahead, medically and just the future and the fear of that, I would gladly pay that amount of money just to be able to run again,” said Auld. The sloped sidewalk often has water running over it, causing algae to grow, making it slippery. Caution signs were recently posted. But Auld’s attorney says the city knew for a long time it was a problem.

And you know, as this story clearly illustrates, when a person “knows the good they should and doesn’t do it,” there can be disastrous consequences. In this case, the city’s failure to repair the slippery area robbed Lesley of her ability to do the things she loves—something she says that no amount of money could ever compensate for. Hence the reason we are commanded to put others needs above our own and that falling short of doing so is sin for us. 

So refuse to take shortcuts or to turn a blind eye to a problem that you have the power to fix my friend. To know the good you ought to do and not do it will not only harm other people but will damage your testimony and tarnish the cause of Christ. As believers we must always strive to do the right thing at the right time, because it’s the right thing to do. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are obligated to protect other people from preventable mishaps. Help us to see the good we need to do and to do it to the best of our ability, so that we would bring honor to your Name. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment