Sunday, March 26, 2023

Surround Yourself with Mighty People

“So the three mighty men broke through the Philistine camp, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out to the LORD,” 2 Samuel 23:16 BSB


As I approached the finish line of the Prairie Spirit 100 mile trail run yesterday morning after more than 27 hours of doing run/walk intervals, I couldn’t help but tear up at the sight of my friends waiting there to celebrate with me. Along with my husband who crewed me the whole time and paced me the last 24 miles, these people are the most self-sacrificial humans I have ever had the blessing of meeting. After making the long drive to Ottawa, Kansas, this group of friends I consider family made it perfectly clear that they were there to serve me and the other runners in our group who had made it their goal to complete something most people will never attempt. And serve us they did. They took turns pacing the runners, taping their feet, making sure their nutritional needs were met and so on—even sacrificing their sleep to keep us going through the night. As my friend Amanda (who completed her first hundo this weekend with their help) said,  “To say that I have the most amazing friends is an understatement!! I would have quit without their constant encouragement and support.” I tell you what, it’s simply amazing what people can accomplish with the right people by their side. 

And you know, when it comes to the benefits of having the right people by your side, the Bible gives us the story of King David’s mighty men who were said to be extraordinarily strong, courageous, unflinchingly brave, and completely committed to him. In fact, they were thirty-seven of the most fierce and dedicated warriors that ever lived. And they were men who were committed to their mission, even risking their lives to bring their commander a drink of water; a sacrifice David pronounced was too holy for him to drink so “instead he poured it out to the Lord.” 

So let us consider the importance of surrounding ourselves with men and women who selfishly live their lives for others my friend, as we look to the example of David. He was a mighty warrior but he couldn’t win his battles alone, and neither can we. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for those people in our lives who help us fight our battles and fulfill our calling. You are so good to give us friends who are like family Lord. Please Give us a heart to serve others so that we might be Your hands and feet to a world in need, and in doing good works cause others to glorify You. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment