Sunday, October 13, 2024

Consider Your Present Troubles Small

“For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!” 2 Corinthians 4:17



As I set out early Saturday at 4:00 a.m. to complete the Heartland Hundred 100 mile race, I soon became a bit disheartened. Although the modified start (allowed for the older runners, normal start is at 6 a.m.) would allow me to get some miles in before the record setting temp of 92 engulfed us, three hours spent alone running the remote hills of Cassoday, Kansas before I would see sunlight or another human being brought down my spirits. To add to my discouragement, the course was much harder than I had expected it to be and the lack of encouragement from other runners took its mental toll. Throughout the rest of the day, the night, the next day, and the next afternoon, I encountered many more troubles (including doubt, discouragement, nausea, fatigue, and pain) that tempted me to walk away and accept the loss. But then, I commanded my heart to remember this… tomorrow would come either way. There was no stopping it. Which meant I could press on through to the finish line no matter how toilsome it might become to do so, or I could drop out and lose the opportunity to point someone to the foot of the Cross by giving God all the glory for completing something that could only be done by His strength. So I determined then to keep running with all my might—knowing that the length and the severity of the pain that was to come wouldn’t last long in view of eternity, no matter how it seemed in the moment. 

This was something Paul clearly understood when he wrote, “For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!” You see, Paul was no stranger to affliction, having experienced beatings, floggings, hunger, thirst, false imprisonment, and shipwrecks amongst other things. But Paul had an eternal view that reminded him that he would one day be with Christ in heaven until the end of time. And because of that, he could, should, and would press on to finish the race. 

So, no matter what trial you might be facing today, consider it light and fleeting in the view of eternity my friend. This will allow you, like Paul, to boast in your sufferings so that God may be glorified through them. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that our present troubles are small and fleeting when compared with the glory You are producing through us. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment