Monday, September 28, 2026

Strive to Finish Worn Out

“His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’” Matthew 25:23 NKJV


As I neared the finish line of the Ultrapalooza 50 Mile Ultra-Marathon on Saturday evening, after more than 11 hours of continuous movement, I had to fight back tears of relief. 

This had been an exceptionally hard run both mentally and physically. I was hungry. I was tired. I was lonely. My phone had died around mile 30. And my feet were swollen and sore. 

My husband (who completed the 50k) and I, as part of Runner’s Church Ministries, had even arrived at the start line earlier than necessary that morning so he could deliver a pre-race service and prayer before the event began--something we consider ourselves beyond blessed to do.

But, in spite of the fatigue, my heart was joyful as I heard the sounds of cowbell and cheering in the distance, which meant my race would soon be over and I would be able to rest. The thought of this caused me to speak out loud. “Oh Lord,” I said. “I love you so much and I’m so thankful for all the opportunities you have given sweet Larry and me to serve You. Please give us the strength to keep serving You with all that we have so that we can enter heaven totally worn out, confident we have given all that You have given us back to You in service.”

And, you know, while Jesus used the metaphor of financial success in the Parable of the Talents to communicate what it means to be His servant, it’s clear that you and I, as believers, are called to serve God with all of the talents God has given us. While these talents do include our treasures as the story illustrates, they also include our time and our God-given abilities as well.

“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

This means that if we have the ability to run for God’s glory, we should run for His glory. If we have the ability to teach, play an instrument, sing, or have any other talent, we are to use it to the best of our ability to serve Him as well “always abounding in the work of the Lord.” And we are to do it in a way that shows we acknowledge God as the Giver of these abilities, thereby giving the Lord a hefty return on his investment. 

The best part about doing that? We will not only be rewarded by hearing the words "well done good and faithful servant" spoken by the Son of God, Himself, but will be given the opportunity to be responsible for larger things. The reward is not about prestige then, but having the opportunity to have an even greater impact.

Finally, the Master will reward the servant who is found working hard with a joy that can be shared and entered into: a personal relationship with Himself now and into eternity. How’s that for a win? 

So be willing to give up everything you have—your time, talents, and treasures—in service to the Lord my friend. Work so hard that you’ll be worn out and you’ll find that, when you reach that final finish line, the spiritual and eternal rewards you gained will have surpassed anything that you gave. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving every believer unique talents to be used for Your glory. Help us to discern what we have been entrusted with and to work hard to give You a return on Your investment. Inspire us to live to hear the words “well done good and faithful servant” that we might not bury anything You have given us. It’s in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment