Thursday, September 3, 2026

It is Good to Learn Those Lessons

“Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word.” Psalm 119:67 NKJV

In a video posted on Tuesday titled “THIS is the moment a South African runner was tripped up during the Durban 10km – before going on to snatch victory,” we see the moment Taylor Kavanagh took a horrible tumble in the early stages of the popular race.

Footage showed Kavanagh being clipped while overtaking a male runner at the 3km mark.

Kavanagh revealed in the post-race press conference that she was irate after hitting the deck.

But the Hollywoodbets Athletics Club member revealed the male runner showed remorse and offered an apology.

Kavanagh said: “My first 5km unexpectedly went by fast, even though the fall kind of threw me off a little bit, I won’t lie.

“But I tried to regain momentum and kept on going as soon as I got back up.

“He came to apologise, which I really appreciate because I must say, I was very furious at that time because it is something you don’t expect to happen often in road running.

If you are going to fall, you’d rather it be at the start and not during the race.

“But it is good to learn those lessons and at least I know that if it happens again one day, I will know what to do…”

Kavanagh went on to become the first female across the finishing line with a time of 31 minutes and 39 seconds. 

And, you know, when it comes to learning lessons, I would have to agree that it is indeed good to experience falls, hardships, and trials. 

They not only teach us that it’s very easy to stumble, but teach us how to get back up again. They also teach us that great victories can follow hard failures--all things that help us to know what to do "if it happens again one day."

This was something the psalmist (most scholars believe it to be King David) alluded to when he said “Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word." 

The psalmist was reflecting on how his seasons of ease and comfort led him to drift away from his spiritual path and moral teachings. The "affliction"—which referred to adversity, suffering, or being brought low—served as a difficult but necessary correction that guided him back to a focused and obedient life.

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes." Psalm 119:71

Later in the same chapter, the psalmist even states, "It was good for me that I have been afflicted so that I might learn your statutes," highlighting the ultimate value of suffering as a teacher of humility and truth.

"Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction." Isaiah 48:10

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28


So, if you're in a season of affliction right now, hang tight my friend and look up. God is not only teaching you but refining you. And while it may be painful now, you'll understand later that God was working it all for your good and His glory. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that times of comfort and ease never lead to times of growth. Help us to submit to You in our times of affliction Lord knowing that You will use them to make us more like You. For that Lord, help us to rejoice as we seek to not only KNOW the Word but to LIVE it out. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment