Due to my need to attend an early morning seminar yesterday, I was up and out for my run before the sun came up. Compelled by the Holy Spirit to go a different direction than usual, I ventured into a neighboring housing district.
As is my custom (for safety reasons) when running before daylight, my external speaker was turned off and I ran in complete silence in order to be fully aware of my surroundings. Because of the low visibility (I had only my headlamp), I was startled when I came upon a young girl sitting on the ground (barely noticeable in the darkness) waiting for the school bus, head intently looking at her phone with headphones on. And it seems she was just as startled as I was because she yelled out, “Jesus Christ!” Before adding, “you scared me!”
Taken aback by the force of her words and the familiarity with which she took the Lord’s name in vain, I replied "Jesus Christ is Lord” to soften the blow. I then stopped and smiled at her and said, “Jesus loves you. I really hope you know that.”
At my words, the young girl seemed to let down her guard and quietly said, “Okay.” We then parted ways after telling one another to have a great day. You can be sure that I prayed, and will continue to pray, for her though.
And, you know, while I don’t know the girls home situation or her background, it wouldn’t be a stretch for me to confidently say that she has heard the name of Jesus used as a curse word before (probably many times), hence the reason it was the first thing that came out of her mouth. This is something that not only grieves my heart as a follower of Jesus Christ but grieves my heart as a daughter of the King.
You see, while my mother might have had her faults (like all parents do), she followed the command to “Train up a child in the way he should go.” And even though I strayed from that training for a long season, I never departed from the faith and understand now just how much Jesus loves me.
Which is the very reason I was pained at the words this young girl spoke and why I pray that she will come to understand just how much she is loved and cherished by the Savior.
“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
So, if you’re a parent, take the command to train up your children in the way they should go seriously my friend, so they would understand just how much they are loved. And, if you’re not, I pray you’ll never miss an opportunity to remind someone that God loves them so much and that He gave His only begotten Son to prove it. So that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so much that You would provide a Way to save us. Help us to truly understand this that we might be emboldened to share this Truth with others that they might take Your precious name in vain. It’s in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.
Happy Running!
No comments:
Post a Comment