Tuesday, February 20, 2024

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Finish What You Started

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about finding the motivation to finish something on your bucket list. But first, allow me to tell you what prompted the subject. On Monday, Danielle Johnson (pictured above in the blue shirt) did something that she had left undone previously for many years. She completed a 5k! As her former coach, having this come up on my newsfeed made me super happy! You see, back in 2018, Danielle began one of the Couch to 5k classes that I'm blessed to teach. She made it about halfway through and then completely gave up on running. Until recently that is.... 


And then… On February 19, with the help of some friends who helped her train and were there to cheer her on, Danielle not only completed a 3.5 mile run (a bit more than a 5k), but became part of an elite(ish) circle of athletes that make up the "gate club." I'm not sure exactly when this crazy club started. I just remember that many years ago while on a group run we all stopped to take a group selfie at the point where one of our favorite trails ended at a farmers gate and I said, “Okay everyone, let’s all touch the gate.” When someone later asked where the picture was taken, they were told that only the members of the "gate club" were privy to the location. After that, runners from all over couldn't wait to be a part of the club and it became a rite of passage for new people who join our Frog Fitness Group. It's a route that's even included in our Bass Pro training runs!


So what prompted the change you might ask? What motivated Danielle to complete this goal six long years later and to push herself to touch the gate? Well… this is what Danielle had to say... When my husband and I moved to Missouri back in 2018, it was a struggle. I thought I could handle the changes; I was new in my faith. I was worried if we would find the right church for us and our family. My son’s Sunday school teacher was part of my growth. Melissa (I was that Sunday School teacher all those years ago) made coming fun for my son. I overheard her talk about this couch to 5k one day and I was very interested. At first, I was going to do it for me but then my husband thought he would join in. I felt overwhelmed after that because I needed this for me not us. I slowly stepped away and focused on my son and thought less about the 5k. Time moved on and life was just passing me by. I started caring less about myself and focused more on helping at the church more and making sure my family was taken care of. I didn’t care how I felt and depression had settled in. It wasn’t till the other day that it hit me. I was hearing one of my coworkers talking and I was falling over every word listening to how they ran a group race. Life was passing me by and I needed to change. I asked about the running they do but still felt uncomfortable. I said I would join but I always turned away. I finally said yes and can tell you that nothing felt as amazing as having the strength to touch "the gate." I was on cloud nine! Do you just love that or what? It's proof that it's never too late to complete a goal when you find the right friends to help you complete it! Becoming a member of an elite(ish) club is also a great motivator!


So whether your unfinished goal is a 5k, a marathon or some distance in between, quit making excuses and find a group of people that will help you achieve it!  Don't let time continue to pass you by when there are gates to touch, races to run, and finish lines to cross! No matter how long it's been, make today the day you surround yourself with cheerleaders and finally say, "Yes!" to getting out there and working towards your desired result one step at a time. You'll be so glad you did! 

Happy Running!



No comments:

Post a Comment