Thursday, April 12, 2018

I am not ashamed

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." Romans 1:16 NIV


Image result for runners talking pic
Midway into my late morning run yesterday, I attempted to pass a young man walking on the sidewalk. But just as I got close enough to say hello, he picked up the pace and started running alongside me. As I laughed and we made some small talk, he revealed to me that he was walking home after his court hearing was cancelled. Prompted by the Holy Spirit, I asked him what his charges were and the choices that had led up to it. As we then slowed down and stopped, I placed my hand on his shoulder and said, "Do you know what you need?" To which he replied, "What?" as he stood back and seemed to await the lecture he seemed sure would follow. But to his surprise, I simply said, "Jesus. You need Jesus." 

And as I later watched this young man walk away, my heart was heavy at the realization that there are so many people in our world, even in our own neighborhoods, that are just as lost as him. And yet most Christians are too ashamed or embarrassed to share "the gospel." Do they simply not comprehend that "it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone?" Do they not understand that without Jesus there is no hope in this life or in the one to come? Do they not realize that if we don’t tell them that they will never know? So I say, if you and I are ever going to change our world, we, like Paul, must stand up and boldly declare, "I am not ashamed of the gospel." 

So what will you do today? Will you, like me, in the words of Jeremy Camp declare, "Even though few may stand and proclaim your great name, it’s the life I want to live. I'm convinced, there is none like You. I'm not ashamed of the Gospel. I'm not ashamed of Jesus Christ. I will stand and boldly say 'This is my life?'" So how about it? Will you? 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of salvation found only through Jesus Christ. Help us to be bold witnesses that will unashamedly share the Good News of the gospel with all those who need to hear it. May we, today, realize how important and life-changing this is and feel a renewed fire and passion to evangelize the world. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I'm not ashamed - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment