Thursday, January 14, 2016

The winnings

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time." 1 Timothy 2:5-6



The morning news yesterday confirmed what I had already expected. I had not won the largest lottery in history and gone were my dreams of paid race entries for life and ending world hunger. Darn. I was even going to buy a tour bus and bring all my friends. While a tad bit disappointed, I couldn't help but smile knowing I was already rich. You see, I know that I have things money can't buy. I have good health, joy, amazing friends, a loving family and the best thing ever... knowledge that the largest debt I ever owed and could never repay has already been paid in full.

1 Timothy 2:6 tells us that Jesus, "gave himself as a ransom for all people." Consider this then, a ransom is a sum of money or other payment demanded or paid for the release of a prisoner. The ransom demanded to set us free was not "a sum of money" but "other payment", the blood of a perfect sacrifice, to be the "one mediator between God and mankind.." Jesus was that perfect sacrifice, that "payment demanded" and the only payment that would be accepted. He did it all for the release of a prisoner and that prisoner was you and me! We have been set free my friend.

I hope that you believe that today. It means we are richer than any past, present or future lottery winner will ever be. Let us today celebrate our winnings!!

Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your son Jesus to pay a debt that he didn't owe, one we could never pay ourselves, and one that demanded he give his life as a ransom to set us free. Oh Lord, help us to realize just how rich we truly are. We have something that no amount of money could ever purchase, freedom through Christ and eternal life. We thank you and pray this in your precious name, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

He paid it all - Brandon Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment