Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Thanksgiving secret

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:12

Image result for family praying pic

As you prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving today, what are you most thankful for? This was the question I pondered on my early morning run. And while the obvious things like family, friends and freedom popped into my head-second to Salvation, I am most grateful for this... I have finally learned the secret of contentment. And if contentment is defined as the state of being happy and satisfied with one's possessions, status or situation, I would say that is definitely something to be thankful for. Wouldn't you? 

Paul thought so too when he wrote the words, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty." You see, he could say this because Paul had experienced abundant wealth, extreme poverty and everything in between. He could say that he had, "learned the secret of being content in any and every situation" because his focus was not on these temporal things but on Christ and knowing and obeying Him. These cheerful words, written while Paul was in prison, were a reminder to us that joy can be found in all things and all situations because God is always with us... in all things and all situations. 

You see, happiness is dependent upon what is happening around us but contentment is dependent on what is happening within us. And if we are focused on Christ, there is nothing happening around us that can steal our joy. Now isn't that something to be thankful for today? I sure think so. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that tells us that true joy and contentment can be found in any situation we may find ourselves in. Help us to remember that we will never be satisfied with the things this world says will make us happy like possessions or position but that all we ever need is found in You. And for knowing that secret, may we truly be grateful today no matter if we are living in plenty or in want. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Never been a moment - Micah Tylor

No comments:

Post a Comment