Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Running for a cause

“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face,  so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.  Matthew 6:6-18


I oftentimes see runners complain about the training they must put in to run a race.  And, oh, how we runners can go on about the pain and sacrifice it takes!!  This baffles me since running and racing are choices.  We can either do it or not.  So, if you make a choice, why do you complain about it?  Likewise, if you are called (praise Him if you are chosen) to complete a task, why would you complain about that?  Jesus commends acts of self-sacrifice done sincerely and for the right reasons not the desire to be praised for them.  Be glad He didn't call you to run 100 miles!!!!

I thought about that today as I put in another day of training for the March 29th 100 mile race.  It was so cold today that my eyelashes and facemask froze, not to mention some unmentionable parts of my body.  I had a choice then just as I had before I signed up for the race.  Complain and quit or suck it up and go on. This is a run I prayed about before I registered and it's a race I feel God calling me to complete.  If, even one person hears the message, every mile will have been worth it. 

What was my decision today?  No complaining for me! I will forever praise Him and I thank Him for choosing me to serve Him.  I thank Him for the ability to run these miles and for all the people in my life who make it possible.  So.... next time I feel like complaining or frowning I will take those complaints and file them in the SHUT UP, YOU ARE BLESSED AND GET OVER IT filing cabinet. Then I will smile and raise my hands in praise.  I choose to complete every mile with joy and I choose to be the runner God wants me to be.  I truly believe that once I do my best, God will do the rest. 

Heavenly Father, please give us joy in our hearts and strength in our bodies to do what you have called us to do.  Let us remember that we are all called to do different things but they are equally important.  Please bless us as we strive to bring you glory and complete our tasks.  In your name Jesus, Amen. 

We will be raising money for the Pulaski County Free Women's Center, supportmyfwc.com.  Part of their mission statement is this:  The Free Women’s Center of Pulaski County (FWC) empowers as many individuals as possible to make healthy life choices consistent with the intrinsic value of human life, and serves as a leader in the community at large for positive sexual values.  
 
Last year alone they saved 58 babies by providing the mothers with free ultrasounds.  We will be raising $5000 to cover the expenses needed to continue doing this.  With God, all things are possible!!!

Sponsor sheets will be available this week!  If you feel like you can and want to help, please contact me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment